Featured

www.metalgallows.com

Friday, May 9, 2014

Septuagint - Negative Void Trinity EP - Album Review

Year: 2014

In the warmth of an early may morning I felt a cold I hadn’t felt in a long time. Sitting in my room I was taken by surprise. I had had the EP for over a month, and had been sleeping on the latest Septuagint release. I was afraid of what I was going to hear. Not that black metal scares me- it was that I wasn’t sure what I was going to hear would agree with my idea of this specific genre. Truth be told it took me back to a mix CD my elder brother had given me. It was a plethora of noise that was so alien to me I didn’t know if I hated it or loved it. 'Negative Void Trinity' did just that, it confused me. There were elements all too familiar yet it was unique to itself.


Giving it more than a few listens, I sat on my bed hearing what I perceived as my most difficult review to date. I had not the slightest idea how to tackle the beast in front of me. Slowly growing on me the EP made me think of the state of black metal and in the midst of these thoughts - I realized that many of the bands had been taking the genre back to its roots. Although 'Negative Void Trinity' doesn’t take you back to the days of Bathory or Celtic Frost, it does a great job of capturing the early rage of Marduk. I wouldn’t call the EP a modern day classic, but it is very good none the less. If you are a fan of any early black metal you will enjoy this over a cup of tea. 



Discord is the name of the game when it comes to this particular recording. Violent chords that bray, atop pulverizing blast beats complete the package. Setting a chilling mood the vocals only help adding to its already intense atmosphere. Every track can stand alone, and each is unique to itself. For two guys to make something as distinct as this is mind boggling. The production is that of an earlier era. Everything sort of washes together, and it is sometimes hard to distinguish the guitars. 

Other than that it is great, and I have to say that I don’t mind the production a bit. I would rather it be raw as it is than to that over polished sound that most albums have these days. All in all this release is great. Only two problems I had with this EP are no lyrics, and it was a tad too short. With all that said it gets a 70%.

Rating: 70%

No comments:

Post a Comment